Friday, October 7, 2011

My husband and I purchased our home in 2005 just before we were married.  We were new to being married and new to being homeowners...needless to say we had no idea what we were doing with anything!  For the longest time (4 years!) our house was "builders white" with a mismatch of furniture. Sort of like this...




We had some nice pieces, like the 1930's deco buffet and china cabinent, but everything was in a wash of white and did not seem very cozy.  It took some convincing of the hubby, but finally we decided to paint the majority of the interior in two tones of brown.  They are camel and saddle, both purchased from Lowe's (Olympic, No-Voc Paint in Satin).  Which you can see here. 


It definately warmed things up and gave us a neutral backdrop to use for when we want to inject color with furniture and accessories.  I know that brown or beige can be boring but I love it (and with 15ft cathedral ceiliings and lots of weird angles, I would rather change out accessories and furniture than repaint the main section of our house ever again)! It took three days of work for my friend Melinda and I to paint my living room, dining room, and kitchen.  I had to find colors that would blend throughout all the rooms and have a cohesive look as we have a newer model home with an open floor plan.  I think that it has worked out really well for us so far...



I have lots of updates to post already throughout the house and I look forward to sharing them with you!  I hope to turn this blog into a diy home decor blog where we can work and learn about home decor and home life together.  Thanks for stopping in to the Baker's House and you'll be hearing from me soon. 

-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment or join this site for even more DIY and home related posts!