Sunday, October 16, 2011

Curtains, Curtains, Curtains...

I have been wanting to change the curtains in our living room for some time now.  I have been slowly changing up the decor in our living room with more "inky" blues and the pale blue curtains were not cutting it anymore.  I knew that I wanted to make a bigger statement, so definitely something with a pattern or color...or both!  I did some scouting on my new favorite obsession Pinterest and I noticed a theme.  See if you can guess...

          



If your guess was stripes...you were right.  A few problems presented...Matt did not like them. Wah, wah, waaaaah.  He said they reminded him of a lighthouse, and then that was all I could think of when I looked at them.  Secondly, this type of curtain starts around $60 a panel, and I needed at least four panels.  That is around $240.  That is not bad, but it was more than I wanted to spend.  So I started "googling" around and found this...


Sorry that the picture is sideways :(  I tried 100 ways to straighten it out and just couldn't.  Anyway... these are painting drop cloths made into striped curtains!  I found them here on Dana Millers blog: House Tweaking.  She gives a great tutorial that I followed to make the curtains. 

I started out by heading over to Lowe's to get drop cloths and paint.  I bought three drop cloth panels each 6' X 9' they were $12.48 a piece.  What a steal compared to the $60 a panel that I was looking at paying before.  Next, I choose the color and ended up with Admiral Blue Olympic, No-VOC interior paint, in eggshell.  I bought a quart thinking that would be plenty for $9.98.  That would be three curtain panels for under $50 ($47.42 to be exact)!

I needed Matt's help to measure out the spacing and make sure that the lines...lined up.  I did not want them to be wonky! 



 They did line up perfectly, they only look crooked because they are not lined up together on the garage floor.  I did not want them to be too dark so I opted for a alternating pattern with a big cream white space in the middle.  Here is one of the three panels:




Now didn't that look easy?  It wasn't!  This one panel took two hours of work.  I promise that I am not a slow painter.  First, lining up the frog tape for the stripes took a good amount of that time and two people.  Once we had the lines straight, I had to start painting.  Because it is fabric the paint soaked right in which meant lots of reloading the roller.  I got one panel finished and had used 3/4 of the quart of paint that I purchased.  I was finished for the day, but on Sunday I went back to Lowe's and bought a gallon of my paint to finish the last two panels (making the total for this project $71.90 with the addition of the extra gallon).  By Wednesday they were finished and ready to hang.  I am in love!  Just one thing, I wanted to change out the curtain rod and clips that we had in the living room.  The curtain rod was a textured white, and I purchased silver clips from Target a while back, but wanted a cohesive look for the next curtains.  I chose Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint by Rustoleum (which I had on hand). I laid everything out on paper bags.  It took several light coats to achieve the look I wanted (oops, I forgot to take a shot of the curtain rods).  


 Anyway, all that being said, I am in love with them, and here is the before and after you have been waiting for...


Before


After


Another after, sorry for the bad quality



Let me know what you think!


- Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment or join this site for even more DIY and home related posts!

Post a Comment